Two days after launching a campaign to raise £70,000 in less than two weeks the Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra has already achieved donations or promises of more £40,000, a process its general manager has described as ‘heartening’.
Earlier this week the freelance professional orchestra stated that it would not be able to present its 2013/14 season, or meet certain committed payments, unless it was able to secure £70,000 before 17 August.
‘We’ve just hit £40,000,’ said general manager Judith Clark today. ‘We know that exponentially it gets more difficult the nearer you get to the target; but we have just got pledges of £40,000 now and it might be different by Monday.’
‘I’m very hopeful and very heartened by what has happened in the last 48 hours. We’ve only launched our appeal by post to members on Wednesday and by email and press releases since, and to have raised £40,000 in that time makes me hopeful that we might be able to achieve the target.’
On Wednesday the orchestra said that a reduction in legacy giving had made it ‘difficult to make up the shortfall from ticket sales and current levels of sponsorship and donations’.
Music director Barry Wordsworth said that despite the need for rescue funding, he was positive about the group’s future. ‘Orchestras everywhere, indeed the arts in general, are facing interesting challenges during the economic circumstances in which we are placed,’ said Wordsworth. ‘But I am hopeful that with your support, we will survive the current situation, and emerge stronger as a result.’
If you are able to donate please contact Brighton Philharmonic on 01273 622900, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or send any cheques made payable to Brighton and Hove Philharmonic Society to 41, George Street, Brighton, BN2 1RJ by 17 August.